Magilligan family lucky to escape from Boxing day blaze
Thursday, 5 January 2017
A YOUNG boy has been left with third degree burns following a Boxing Day blaze at the family home.
At the time of going to press Rhys Mullan, 9, who is in a stable condition in the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, was standing near the hearth in the family home at Seacoast Road, Magilligan, when his clothing caught fire around 4pm, on December 26.
Stephen Mullan, his partner Miriam Ramsey and his two other children, Ben, 12 and Leah,10, were also in the house at the time.
Speaking on BBC Radio Foyle last week Mr Mullan described the panic as he, his three children and his partner struggled to escape the blaze that could have cost them their lives.
In the radio interview Mr Mullan said a spark from the hearth fire caught his youngest son clothing, causing Rhys to suffer third degree burns to his face and body.
"Rhys' arm caught fire and we tried to get it out but when I looked around, I noticed the house was on fire," said Mr Mullan.
“I said to my oldest son, Ben, 'Get Rhys out and I'll deal with this fire'. But it was too far gone and it just happened in seconds. Ben rolled Rhys on the chair and got the fire out on his arm. Miriam got Leah up the stairs into the back bedroom. Ben was very calm. I just saw flames. It was a matter of minutes, the whole house was completely covered in smoke. In panic, I kept trying the front door knowing it was locked. Ben said we needed to get upstairs."
Three fire appliances attended the scene at approximately 4.06pm and a spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) described the blaze as, "a well-developed fire in a semi-detached property."
Send to a friend
Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.