United through to Boxing Day final

Thursday, 1 December 2016

Moyola Park...................0 Limavady United....................1

LIMAVADY United maintained their stranglehold on the Craig Memorial Cup on Saturday as they saw off the home side to make it to their third successive Boxing Day final thanks to a stunning Robbie Hume strike in the second half. In truth, the Roesiders were well worth the win and if they had taken their chances could have avoided a nervy last five minutes when the home side threw everything at them. United, with their four junior internationals straight back in the side on their return from Moldova, started slowly and were penned back in their own half for the first 20 minutes. Craig Moore was first to threaten his old club with a sixth minute shot which flew past Wells' left hand post while another ex-Roesider, Aaron Mullan, hit a tenth minute free kick straight at Wells.
United were simply not in the game and it took a goal line clearance from Harkin in the 15th minute to save his team as Wells was rooted to the spot as a powerful header came at him.
The hosts continued to press and on 23 minutes the lively Beggs screwed a shot wide off the post. In the next minute, Mullan robbed Morrison in front of goal and fired a stinging effort just wide off the far post. Bar a couple of ineffectual corners, the cup holders were toothless. United had to wait until 31 minutes for a real chance when McCready's deflected shot fell to Hume inside the box but Farniok was alert to block. Some ten minutes later, the little striker missed a great chance when he was entirely unmarked in the six yard box and on the end of Morrison's cross but for some inexplicable reason, he put his shot wide off


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete